Modern Foreign Languages
At the Nottingham Academy we believe languages are part of the cultural richness of our society and the world in which we live and work. The study of Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) offers pupils the opportunity to experience the languages and cultures of different countries, and to appreciate and compare their own culture with that of others. The ability to understand and communicate in another language is a lifelong skill for education, work and travel. Learning languages enables pupils to develop their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills and to express themselves with increasing confidence in a range of contexts. These communication skills, along with an understanding of the structure of language, form the foundations for future study of other languages and support the development of pupils’ literacy skills in their own language.
The MFL department aims to:
- Develop pupils’ skills in listening ,speaking, reading and writing so that they can communicate effectively in a range of different contexts and situations
- Give pupils the opportunity to learn about France and Spain and other French/Spanish speaking countries
- Encourage positive attitudes to foreign language learning and to speakers of foreign languages
- Provide enjoyment and intellectual challenge
- Create an enthusiasm for language learning, by ensuring that every pupil makes at least good progress and experiences success
The department is truly international with teachers from all over the world, each bringing their own unique style to enhance the department as a whole. In today’s world we are increasingly called upon to mix and interact with people from different countries and cultures; this has never been more evident when we consider the number of languages spoken in the community the Academy serves. We look forward to welcoming and supporting pupils of all nationalities, whether that be through MFL, our Community Languages Curriculum or our English Language Development School.
Further study of MFL can lead to and support a wide range of fulfilling and exciting careers such as: teacher; air cabin crew; aid worker; translator; jobs in the Foreign Office or Diplomatic Service; working for the EU; Journalist; foreign affairs correspondent; or fashion designer to name but a few. Any job that would require travel and communication outside of the UK!